Sorry, there are no products in this collection
Choosing the right mattress for your baby can be challenging; here are some tips that will help you in selecting the right mattress for your baby.
The Fit of The Mattress
- Right size: make sure you buy a mattress which is of the proper size. It should have a 3cm gap around its edges of the cot bed, so that baby can sleep peacefully without getting their limbs stuck around the size.
- Even though the majority of the cots come with mattresses that are explicitly designed for them, and some come with a sticker or a card that mentions the size of the mattress which is needed, the bed should at least have a depth of 8 to 10 cm so that your baby will have proper support while sleeping. Buying a more substantial sized mattress is always good since it saves you money in the long term since children grow very fast, and will continuously need larger cushions as they grow older.
- If you are getting a made to measure baby mattress make sure that the bed has covered both BS 7177 1996 for flammability and Part 10 1997 for safety and performance
What Kind of Material you Should Look for
There are plenty of mattresses available for your baby, but one thing that you need to keep in your mind is that the mattress needs to be firm and flat.
Here are the types of mattress which are available in the market.
- Coil sprung mattresses: these mattresses have an interior of coil-sprung and have layers of foam or felt padding; this helps in increased airflow because the padding helps these mattresses stay in shape. This is also the reason why coil sprung mattresses should be your first choice.
- Pocket sprung mattress: these mattresses are the same as the coil-sprung mattress. Each spring in these mattresses has a pocket which provides better support and longevity. Pocket sprung mattresses are expensive and are not cost-effective.
- Organic mattresses; these mattresses are made up of natural materials which are chemical and allergen-free like Bamboo. Natural beds are useful if the baby or family has allergies. These mattresses also offer excellent support and have antibacterial properties. They are also highly breathable. These should be complemented in blankets and quilts and coverlets.
- Double-sided mattresses: The top side of these mattresses is firm and flat, while the other is softer. The firm and flatter side should be used between the period of birth and pre-school. The softer side should be used when the baby grows older.
- Foam mattresses: Foam mattresses are the cheapest option; they are lightweight and offer excellent support. Foam mattresses come with a PVC wipe clean material on one side so that they can be cleaned easily. Foam mattresses generally lose their shape with prolonged use, so it is better if you use them for a short period.
Even though every new parent loves to watch over their baby every second; it’s just not humanly possible to keep a track on them, especially when everyone is sleeping.
That is why a good bed is essential for the baby.
The Mattress That you Should Choose for the Baby
- The Mattress should be Breathable: babies should sleep on their back, but they will rollover no matter what. A breathable mattress will allow the baby to roll without any problem since the air flows freely and the breathability of the bed is high. Breathability will help avoid overheating and will provide a comfortable environment for sleeping.
- The mattress should be firm. Although it feels weird to put the baby on a hard bed, a firm mattress will provide a safer sleeping environment for the baby. Parents should avoid putting Crib bumpers, blankets, and toys in the crib while the baby is sleeping as it may lead to suffocation.
- According to the National Science Foundation, some of the Foam Based Mattresses may release a chemical off-gassing while your baby is sleeping. Look for mattresses that have a certification of the lowest level of VOCs and other chemical emissions, or search for mattresses which have a gold Greenguard seal.
- Look for mattresses that are easy to clean, though if a mishap takes place, you should be able to wash the bed. Opt for a mattress that is fully washable, easy to clean, and easy to set up.
A newborn baby can sleep for as long as 17 hours in a day, and toddlers need about 12 to 14 hours a day, so look for a healthy mattress for your baby since it’s a significant investment for your little one.